Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Games Should be Games and Should Always be Games (The Rant I was Hiding for a Long Time)

This was my pre-quitting speech a few weeks before the e-Games Domination event. Basically I was hiding this post since I don't want some friends and players to be rattle by this short but heavy rant.

---------------------------------

Games Should be Games and Should Always be Games

I really noticed the trend with online gaming today. Granado Espada was wasted under the hands of IAH Games as it openly tells everyone that the game is more of a business rather than a game. I really don't know if its just me or the free to play format with item mall is not really the business model for a customer like me.

I just knew that Rio will charge me 20 enhancement boosters to recruit him. Thats eleven thousand g-points, roughly around 600 pesos. I actually paid for a few characters I had (nope I didnt payed another 600 pesos for my Irawan.) but enough is enough. So to experience a really rich family of characters in your barracks, you have to pay up. Why not let me pay two thousand pesos for my Soho the Wind ? Why leave this charatcer in a crummy game of chance? The most simple answer would be is to make money.

Yes, am not the biggest celebrity in all the gaming communities I have been; but am not the strongest player who would junk as much as ten to twenty thousand pesos on a game per month. And the thing is, even if I had all the money in the world, I can't buy all the GVCs I want because its so hard to find and buy them. Maybe thats the amor of the f2p format for game publishers. For the other gamers, the free to play format has obvious benefits for them, most especially the ones who wants to dominate the game for their own pride.

As what I have announced I would be quitting Granado Espada, but because I think I wouldn't do it completely for I really loved the game. Since I don't have much money to spend on my games , all I can spare is time from excellent time management.

No I don't want to be the most powerful person in an online game ever nor be the biggest celebrity in a community by ethical or unethical means. I just want to enjoy my games and online gaming is my choice since I get to interact with other people.

If I was asked about the game I enjoyed the most, it would be Ragnarok Online (RO). Yes I did enjoyed playing RF, Granado Espada, and all the countless games I played. I enjoyed them equally. But the thing is, I had fun with people in RO to the point of getting together with them, knowing them personally and all that. But I really had to quit with all the cheating.

Am looking forward to RO2 but knowing that I am going back to another business oriented publisher like Level Up! Games, all I wish is that I would feel that RO2 is a game whether its pay or free to play. I really think that game publishers can run a game without letting players feel that the game is actually a business. I know LUG is pretty notorious but I hoped they improved. Am looking forward to their game.

If all the game publishers are like this, which publisher would I trust my free time with?

In before grammar errors and mispelled words.

---------------------------------

So why am I still playing Granado Espada? I should admit that it was because of e-Games' Domination event where I get to meet people and saw how they don't want me to quit. In short, it's the people I played with.

Makati is just a thirty minute (could go for an hour if theres heavy traffic) bus ride away from Paranaque. But why aren't the GVCs here ? What more if it was in Baguio, Tuguegarao, and the far North? In Baguio, we get our cards from an ice cream parlor, isn't that ridiculous ? Ridiculous in a sense that we can't buy our GVCs conveniently in the mall or the friendly neighborhood card shack?

I really love Granado Espada, but to love the game I should pay more, I already accepted the idea in my system already. Now I have the "love" for the game, where should I pay my "love" now ?

Relevant entries:

Reimaru Files: WHY do these companies DON'T give a DAMN


Dispatches from the New World: Promoting seaGE, and a rant on GVCs

2 comments:

PJ Punla said...

very well said. and that Priston Tale thing just puts my teeth on edge! >.< dammit IP e-Games! it's been a year, you know how to distribute your e-cards so why can't you distribute GVCs properly?!

looking forward to that expose you were talking to me about.

Mikee Stiles said...

"Wala" (none, nothing) was the word of the day.

As usual, I got tired of trying to find GVCs.

All I want was some barracks slots so I can make myself a stock musk and reserve a spot for my future Rio.

I took vids. Didn't do much leg work a while ago since it was a bit late already and my sis wants to go home already.